Welcome to Nuvviti School, Ivujivik, Quebec

Nuvviti school.  My classroom is third to the left on the bottom floor.  This is what I see out of my living room window.

 Well--here we go again


I won't say it is the last time--ha, ha!!

Left the Comox Valley on September 30, and was expected to arrive here on the 1 of October--weather too bad in Ivujivik, so I had a lovely overnight at my favorite hotel in Montreal!!  I got here Monday evening, and was welcomed by the principal, Sylvie, and the lady who replaced me, Sylvie--whom I worked with 2 years ago.  We had a lovely catch up over a yummy dinner of ribs!

Day one at school was a busy one, it is all a blurr--but it has been fun.  I started with 3 students, and now I have 4.  I have yet to have them all on the same day!!  They are quite sweet, not at all like the last crowd.  One child is very far ahead, so that will be my challenge--keeping her going and motivated.

The school is focusing on anti bullying--so we had a good week of creating a great poster, reading the little book how to fill your bucket, and doing other activities to support this idea.  The whole school went to the beach, made a big circle, and danced into the center, chanting--no more bullying.

So far, I have only been teaching in the mornings--good as I had a lot of catching up to do with Sylvie, and I needed to find my way around the classroom.  Sylvie did a splendid job of the start up, and she has left me in really good shape to proceed. Now what about the afternoons??  Sylvie wants me to do music--just what that looks like is in the formation stage.  I met with 2 kids who want to learn guitar, and 1 kid who wants to play conga drums yesterday, so it looks like, that will be one class for sure--they were lovely.  In fact the boy, apparently, is a troubled youth--I had no idea--he was so keen to learn something on the drum, that he was totally focused.  The principal was astonished at what I had accomplished in 20 minutes--a first for that boy!!

I have just finished cleaning, and unpacking everything.  I sure brought a lot of stuff!!  Some of it will just stay in the cupboard until later.

The accommodation is ok. It is a 4 plex, and I am on the main floor.  It  is directly across the street from the school.   About a 2 minute walk.  The polar bears are gone for now, but they will appear from time to time, so we have to be careful.  Right now, there is a red fox, and a rabid dog roaming around so we have been advised not to go walking.

The place was filthy--but 3 days later, it is smelling like pine sol!  Sylvie gave me the internet connection--so that was great.  But, today, I can't seem to get my printer hooked up, nor can I get my smart tv to function--always these little frustrations --I will need to get someone to help me.  Also have made arrangements for my telephone.  Cells do not work here, so it is best to get the landline.  It will be installed sometime in the next month--I have free calling all over North America, so don't be surprised if I phone you sometime!!

I will practice clarinet  at school in the evenings.  It is easy to get there, and no one will be bothered--I have a lot of music to practice for the up coming cruise, and I have some terrific light jazz duets to practice--they are really fun!  But, more fun to play with someone.  I am missing that.

Planted my garden today--I hope it grows quickly!!  The coop store is not too far away, but the shelves are pretty bare!!

Time will fly--only 10 weeks until the Christmas holidays.  I have a lot to do between now and then, including planning the Christmas Concert--the high point for community celebrations.

The Inuits seem to be smaller and leaner here.   They all have been so welcoming to me.  Everyone is super friendly, everywhere I go, people greet me--I think I am going to really enjoy my time here!!

main floor

other side of the room

bedroom one of two

Sylvie. the teacher who replaced me.  Handcuffed at the police station!!

Bright little thing.

A sweetie who has missed a lot of school.

Our anti bullying poster.

Director of the school handing out the sports clothing.

Sylvie the principal, Sylvie the director, thanking her and giving her a lovely gift.

View from the hotel.  This is Hudson Bay.

Another view from the hotel.

My new garden.  Let's see how long it takes!
One of my little boys.  The other one has only shown up for one morning.



Comments

  1. Such an interesting first blog from Ivujivik. And, your place looks nice. I am so glad you have a keen student. I just know you will be a great and positive influence for her. You can call me any time. As you know, I am a dinosaur and use our land line exclusively, LOL. PM for the #.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

End of the first week back

Week 2, Ivujivik

Saturday February 24, 2024