One month later..

 Hello


It has been another busy week.  The place is starting to grow on me.  I am so surprised at the warmth of the people here.  One day last week, I went shopping at the coop.  Someone asked if I would like to go, so I did, but I didn't have my bags with me--only the back pack, so some of the heavier items like the pumpkin, and some cans had to go into a box.  As I was struggling to get all this stuff to the door, and then into the truck, a grade 8 boy, whom I have met on the play ground, came over and asked if I needed any help--of course, please.  He picked everything up, and packed it to the truck.  

At the staff meeting on Friday, I asked if any locals knew about the Inuit drumming.  They all said it wasn't done here, just in Nunavut.  I was a little disappointed.  But, they did say a villager could come and teach us the throat singing--that will be neat.

This afternoon, after my walk, I went to the school to prep for next week. Our behaviour tech is a young Inuit lad who has just returned from college in Montreal.  He is a local graduate.  He is quite a big boy, but extremely soft spoken, shy.  He already has been a big help with some issues with the children.  He really is the gentle giant.  He popped in and asked if I needed any help, and they he went over to the drums.  I told him I was ok.  Then I asked if he played the drum.  Very, very quietly he said, yes.  He picked up the drum and mallet and proceeded to do a song.  I was overjoyed and asked if I could record it, but he said no.  I asked if he could show me the correct technique to strike the drum, and he was ok with that, and ok with me taking pictures.  I asked him about the protocol of playing the drum, and he said that there was none that he knew of.

I invited him to come to my guitar class so that he can teach them--and I am hopeful that we can do a total drum circle at the Christmas concert.

So, slowly, I am connecting with the community and the culture.

The temperature is around minus ten, and we have about 5 cm of snow.  It is unlike any snow that I have seen before--it is the consistency of hail.  Underneath is glare ice--I am so thankful the principal gave me the spikes to put on my shoes.  It was never like this in Kangirsuk.  And, there is no sanding of the roads here---so it is pretty dangerous with any motor vehicles.

Last weekend I was invited to music party.  The man who teaches kayak building is also a lute player--totally self taught, and playing baroque music.  It was a fun evening, and I got to play several jazz selections from my Hal Leonard collection.

Halloween this week,  a strike day, report cards, parent teacher conferences ---you know the drill.  But, we are making progress, and I am actually having fun!!  The time is slipping away, and soon we will be enjoying our egg nog and turkey!!




bundle up!  My ski jacket zipper broke, so a friend is letting me borrow this neat parka.

Our class poster about stopping bullying.  The white patterns are written Inuktitut.

Our second time in the kitchen

Nearly completed Halloween door.

guitar made into the lute with the addition of the strings

lute music

the performance.

the beauty of the area



cleats for the shoes and boots

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

End of the first week back

Week 2, Ivujivik

Saturday February 24, 2024