November 12

 Hello all


It is all been a blur since Thanksgiving.  Unfortunately, I got the dreaded Covid, and although I had 4 shots, I suffered from an extremely sore throat, runny nose, dry cough and exhaustion.  I was able to go back to work after 5 days, but the cough, stuffy nose and exhaustion have held on.  Fortunately for me, I missed only two days of school---there was bad weather, and illness in the community, so the school was shut down for several days.

Now, with Remembrance Day gone, we are in the count down to Christmas.  I have volunteered to organize the Christmas Concert, and it has been fun talking to all staff members about what their plans are.  After 2 years of no concert, the community is looking forward to a big splash.  The grand finale will feature a guitar band of about 10 staff, with the entire staff singing Silent Night and Felice Navidad in Inuktitut, French and English.

I have also been invited into more Inuit homes.  Everyone is so friendly.  So, socially it is really fun--when I have the energy.

One of my friends is a researcher, a McGill Grad, and she has put me on to some great reading--you all might want to learn more about the dog slaughter of the 1950's, 1960's and 1970's.  Hard to read, but eye opening.  It is in the public record.  If anyone wants the link, I can send it to you by messenger link.

We got our first blizzard and snow fall last week.  Closed the school for 3 days---and then water plant had issues, so we have been rationed with the water.  Always something--but it is what it is.

Today, I had my first long walk in over a month, and I don't feel too bad--just a small cough.

The children are really progressing now--it is very much fun to watch them as they try to out do themselves in our daily "read off".  That is a contest that we do last period of each day.  Who can read, spell and pronounce the words of the week--including phonetic blending, sight words and vocab.  The prize, always stickers for the sticker book!

We are also progressing in sentence writing and punctuation.  No stories yet, but within the next month or two!!

One of the 90 mph wind storms.

Lydia loving her painting.

Beginning printing grade 3.


This is Chris, the art teacher along with Nathan and his helper, Vanessa.

Snow removal is so needed.  This is a brand new machine.  Just came in on the sea lift.  The last boat of the season.  It is now freezing up.

Our Remembrance project--turned out well!

I was the "cool" teacher.  This is Sai, a worker from Frontier College who helps with grade 3 math.

Halloween was an all day event--was done really well!!

Susie Mae

Hautsiak

Penina and Lydia won the bingo.

Pumpkin carving with Vanessa.

Yes, someone sent me a box of wine!!!  Yahoo!

A friend took this picture of my house!!!  Northern Lights.

First snow, and first snow angel.

Back to minus 11, and wind chill up to minus 25.

The morning walk to school.

The sunset

























Comments

Popular posts from this blog

End of the first week back

Week 2, Ivujivik

Saturday February 24, 2024