Saying good bye, Kangirsuk

 Thursday May 26


The day has finally come when it is time to say goodbye, Kangiruk, and to bring a close to the chapter called the Northern Adventure!  The final day at school included signing the report cards, and then a picnic at the park that included hot dogs, hamburgers, juice, ice cream and a staff student soccer game.

All done, at minus 5 with intermittent sunshine and snow showers!!

Yesterday was the year end assembly where class and school awards were given, and graduates, 7, were introduced.  Their graduation ceremony will be in August at the beginning of the new school year.

Tuesday was the staff farewell breakfast, and what a send off that was.  7 non Inuit teachers are leaving, half the staff, including the principal.  I was very surprised at how emotionally charged it was--but the Inuit staff explained that it was always hard to say good bye to southerners--just as attachments form, people are gone.  I get it.

8 out 13 of my class invited me to sit with them at the ceremony--they were so lovely--and so well behaved!!  What a turn around.  

Even today at the picnic, several kids just clung on to me, and just did not want to let go--including some very challenging kids.  My heart goes out to them--and I will never forget the drama, the highs and lows, and the human spirit.  Good does eventually shine through.  You just have to work for it!!

I was looking for an adventure, and I certainly got more then I ever could have imagined.

What's next--playing music with the Many Bays Band in Riondel in the kootenays.  I have my practice schedule ready, and will begin next week.  Back to the gym, and back to online teaching with some Chinese students.

Playing teeter totter at the park

got to love the hot dogs and hamburgers


Even Grandma at 85 drives the ATV

Lydia

Etua

Alec doing the song for the people leaving.

Penina and Lydia

Alain David

Alain--now here is a kid who just would not let go of me today, it was a 45 minute hug in!!  Yes, there is a story there.  Ask me.

Yeah Lydia!

Yeah, Sandy

parents at the year end assembly

School administration

One cute little kid.

My class choose to sit with me--none of the other teachers had kids with them.  When I sat on the floor, they did too--so cute!!  There is Alain again--just had to sit on my lap the whole time--at 10 years old!

At the breakfast.

Very emotional time.

Yummy meal.

Amazing food

Comments

  1. Looking forward to getting together with you when you return…..what a story!!!
    SAFE TRAVELS HOME. Love ya, Peter & Pat

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

End of the first week back

Week 2, Ivujivik

Saturday February 24, 2024